Wednesday 6 October 2010

Storytelling

I've just finished a 2 day seminar on Storytelling. It was actually for teachers but somehow I managed to find my way in... it was wonderful - a real revelation. This is my new venture... I'm going to try and be a Storyteller. On Saturday I went to the culmination of the Nordic Voices Festival. Ten storytellers from Nordic Lands telling ten stories in various languages - 1 in Finnish, 2 in Swedish, 1 in Danish and the rest in English - one from a German woman and the other a Danish/Faroese Man. The English storytellers were from Scotland and Norway! 

It was wonderful - inspirational... and I realised that this might be something I could do.  

So, I spent 2 days on this seminar and I found a mentor. Claire Hewitt is a Storyteller, a singer, a harpist and a handworker - she makes felt, among other things. She shared stories and taught us how to felt, she inspired us to listen to and tell stories and share this with others.

Stories on the beach

The Raven put his wing across his face!

raw wool ready for the felting

lovely view

story inspirations, and Claire's book

our workshop space

Autumn sunshine through the trees outside our wooden windows.
So, now I am started to collect stories for telling, in English. I'm looking for Finnish Tales, English Tales and London Tales. I already have several potential "gigs" so this really could be a great new start for me. 

2 comments:

  1. A friend of mine goes to a storytelling conference in North Carolina every year. I will find out the name!

    ReplyDelete